Greetings and salutations my friends (yes, we do consider zombies our friends most of the time)! Our 6th annual Zombie Dash 5K will be taking place on Saturday, October 21, 2017 at Sixth Street Park in Grand Rapids MI. We strive to improve this event every year and love the feedback we get from our survivors and zombies alike. Read on to prepare yourself for another thrilling night!
The long and SHORT of it
5K traffic free loop, downtown GR, start/finish 6th St Park, 6:45 PM, flat route, life strips, slow zombies, dodge, potential bonus time, pay early=save, pay late=pay more
We could not be the Zombie Dash without zombies. If you are not into running or walking long distances and prefer slow shuffling, grunting and dressing like the undead, then we have an opening for you! Volunteer as a zombie for a wee bit and get a FREE SHIRT on us! You must personally pick up your free shirt and look like a zombie. This zombie pickup policy will be enforced, otherwise we get nilch in return for a shirt. Register today before we hit our limit!
What you get for 1 paid adult run/walk entry
- Custom t-shirt (assuming you register in time, see below for nitty gritty details)
- Custom race bib with timing chip (standard pointy safety pins)
- Custom finisher medal
- 3 life strips (any life strips left at the end of the race gives you bonus minutes)
- Age group medal if you dash fast enough
- Refreshments galore
- Life altering stories
- Start time of 6:45 PM with no assigned waves and a start cutoff of 7:15 PM for you night owls. You will still start in small groups to avoid congestion on the Riverwalk. Your time starts when you cross the start mat.
- No late starts after 7:15 PM for safety reasons. Police blocking roads are being dismissed by a cyclist following the last official runner.
- Age group award pickup starting at 8:00 PM. No formal awards ceremony.
- Kids 10 and under running 'FREE' with a parent get a small kids medal at the finish (see below for instructions regarding Kids 10 and under)
Longer version of LONG and short of it for RUNNERS
5K runners and walkers will be given 3 life strips to insert into their waist band. Please TUCK the shirts so the life strips are clearly visible (yes, there are rules when it comes to this zombie event). If you prefer not to be chased by zombies, you may run without life strips. The 5K course will be clearly marked with arrow signs and volunteers at key intersections. The beginning of the race meanders by a babbling brook otherwise known as the Grand River. Zombies are only allowed to scare participants on the Riverwalk. There are two 'feed zones' on the 5K route where slow moving zombies will try to take your life strips. An aid station with is located just before the first 'Feed Zone' on Front Street. Beware of debris like junked cars on the Front Street. You will be required to run on Front Street past Sixth Street and run to turnaround about 1/4 mile away. There will be some sort of BONUS prize at the turnaround, so be sure to make it all the way. Sixth Street Bridge is a 'No Scare Zone'. Shortly after the bridge you will head north into Canal park into the last 'Feed Zone.' Upon finishing in Sixth Street Park, your life strips will be counted (if you have any left), and you will have one minute for each remaining life strip deducted from your total time. If all your life strips are taken, you are not disqualified.
Kids 10 and under can run FREE with their parents. FREE kids are not timed, do not get a shirt and do not get a fabulous finisher medal (they do get a small kids medal when they finish though, as a small token of appreciation). Do not register your FREE kids 10 and under online, just sign a paper waiver and pick up a special kids bib at registration. Kids 10 and under that want an official time and shirt must pay the full entry fee.
Zombies need to be out on the 5K course for the entire race duration, 6:45 - 8:00 PM. Zombies in a 'Scare Zone' should only scare for safety reasons. Zombies in a 'Feed Zone' should grab for runners' life strips at a realistically slow pace. Zombies do not run the course (no World War Z zombies). By the time runners reach you they will be tired and some should be low hanging fruit. Security will be on hand to identify zombies not playing nice. There is NO zombie award for the most life strips taken. Scare, have fun and be careful. Zombies should be back by 8:15 for the beginning of the zombie costume awards.
Costs and DEADlines
- 5K registration through June 30 is $39. $45 for registration between July 1 and October 11 at 12 PM. Custom t-shirt is guaranteed.
- 5K registration between October 11, 12:01 pm and October 19 at 7:00 pm is $45. A custom shirt is NOT guaranteed after this date/time as we put our shirt order in on October 11. Those runners registering after the deadline can check in with the shirt pickup area after the race to see if their size is available. We do order extra shirts in anticipation of more registrations after the shirt order deadline.
- Group discounts are available. Please visit the Register Now link to get more details.
- Zombies are free, but must register online. Register as a zombie by October 11 at 12 PM to guarantee your free t-shirt.
Not your average 5K course, so beware!
Please note that the 5K course is significantly FLATTER than in previous years (no climb up Belknap Hill). However, the course still traverses streets with curbs/potholes and navigating the Riverwalk’s slippery wooden planks. It may or may not be dark when you run and lighting is not bright in most areas. Please be aware of these facts so you can properly prepare for this adventure. Do not register for this race if you are not prepared for these conditions.
We will give a portion of our profits to Michigan Blood and the Michigan Blood Stem Cell Programs.
We will race rain or shine… or snow. In the event of a thunderstorm, tornado, or freak lake-effect blizzard, we will postpone the race until conditions improve. Find secure shelter if severe weather occurs before, during or after the event. We will not be able to reschedule on a different date due to over $7,000 in costs (police, road closure crew, permits, ambulance, etc.) we would have to pay again. We will do everything we can do get the race complete that evening. Please bring rain gear and umbrellas if necessary.
We would encourage you to invite friends and family to watch the race. We will post race maps so spectators know your route. There is no cost to spectate (unlike some national races that charge $20+).
Walkers, if you plan to participate in the Zombie Dash, please be near the start at 6:45 so you finish the course before the cutoff. Please walk single file where the route is narrow, such as on the Riverwalk and sidewalks, especially when you hear approaching runners.